The Georgian Terrace – Atlanta, Georgia
The investigation and renovation of a landmark, historic structure built in 1911 as a posh 10-story hotel into a luxury residential and retail building. The project also includes a 19-story, 294,000 square foot, L-shaped tower addition behind the façade of the historic structure so that from all of the main approaches to the site, the original building is in the forefront.
The Hermitage Hotel Restoration and Renovations – Nashville, Tennessee
SDL provided structural engineering services for the original restoration and renovation of this 1908 landmark hotel that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic preservation was based on guidelines established by the Department of the Interior. SDL provided design and drawing services for an additional renovation bringing this hotel to a Five-Star status. Features include fitness and spa areas and three luxury suites, including a 2,000 square foot presidential suite.
Medical College of Georgia/University of Georgia Medical Partnership Building – Athens, Georgia
The complete renovation and modernization of a historic building located on the banks of the North Oconee River, originally constructed in 1890 as a mill and later served as a health club, night club, and a national call center. The 36,000 square foot renovated building consists of a mixture of classrooms, laboratories and administrative space. The building serves the partnership formed between the Medical College of Georgia (MCG) and the University of Georgia (UGA) to expand medical education into Athens, Georgia.
Princess Theater Renovation – Decatur, Alabama
Renovation of a theater originally built in 1887 as a livery stable and converted to a theater in the early 1900’s, and a renovation of an adjacent annex building with no existing drawings available. Included replacing the existing stage house, adding a small basement area with an orchestra pit and exit corridors under the stage, adding a small mechanical area and service yard behind the theater, extensive re-work and/or strengthening of the annex floor and roof framing, and a small addition to the annex. Re-construction of the stage house included leaving the existing south wall intact for historical reasons.
RSA Dexter Avenue Building – Montgomery, Alabama
This project consists of a new 12-story office building with 430,000 square feet. Rather than demolishing the historic State of Alabama Judicial building, the existing building was preserved and a significant portion of the new office building was constructed over the existing building. Seven levels of the office building are supported by three two-story deep, 144-foot long, steel transfer trusses that span the entire existing building. The restored portions of the Judicial Building have been adapted to premium executive office space and a conference multi-purpose center, which features the original Supreme Court chamber and lobby.
Shakespeare Tavern Renovation – Atlanta, Georgia
The Shakespeare Tavern is an Elizabethan playhouse and is home to the Atlanta Shakespeare Company. This project included the renovation of the existing façade on Peachtree Street to create a new identity for the Atlanta Shakespeare Company. The project also included the addition of a mezzanine. The new façade was designed to appear similar to Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London, England.
- 21c Museum Hotel – Louisville, Kentucky
- 300 Broadway – Nashville, Tennessee
- Bell Middle/High School – Bell, Florida
- Customs House Rehabilitation/Historic Restoration – Nashville, Tennessee
- Frazier International History Museum – Louisville, Kentucky
- Georgia Perimeter College Student Center – Dunwoody, Georgia
- Hotel John Marshall – Richmond, Virginia
- Kanawha Hotel – Charleston, West Virginia
- National Civil Rights Museum Exhibit Hall & Entry Plaza – Memphis, Tennessee
- Oconee Club at Reynolds Plantation – Greensboro, Georgia
- Pershing Point Plaza – Atlanta, Georgia
- Riverside Village on the James – Richmond, Virginia
- RSA Battle House Hotel Restoration and Tower – Mobile, Alabama
- Tennessee State University Clement Hall Dental Hygiene – Nashville, Tennessee
- Union Station Hotel Rehabilitation – Nashville, Tennessee
- Veteran’s Administration Medical Center – Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Western Kentucky University Florence Schneider Hall – Bowling Green, Kentucky
- WXIA TV Station – Atlanta, Georgia