Emory University – Robert Winship Comprehensive Cancer Center – Atlanta, Georgia
This project consists of a 260,000 square foot, seven-story cancer and research facility. There are four floors of diagnostic and clinical spaces, three floors of laboratory spaces, and one full size mechanical penthouse. The facility includes 50,000 square feet of BioSafety Level-2 research labs and support space, as well as a radiation oncology suite including exam rooms and two linear accelerators, which are connected underground to the existing radiation oncology suite. This project presented several structural challenges due to the building placement, which is nestled between existing structures on three sides and an existing road on the fourth side. The design required the careful placement of a four-bay loading dock over the main mechanical room, which itself was inserted over the linear accelerator vaults. These additions were installed directly adjacent to the existing radiation oncology suite while it remained in service. A portion of the loading dock was also designed using bridge technology that spanned over the existing suite to avoid interruption of services. This project was fast tracked, which required extensive structural coordination with limited information as well as great agility during the construction process.
West Virginia University Biomedical Research Facility – Morgantown, West Virginia
A 114,000 square foot, 5-story composite steel laboratory building enclosing class “A” lab space and support facilities. The labs allow West Virginia University Scientists to expand their efforts to accelerate their progress toward better diagnosis and cure for cancer, heart disease, diabetes, stroke and other serious illnesses. This building features a stepped façade system with a signature sloped corner column as well as an elevated connector bridge to the adjacent building.
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering – Nashville, Tennessee
The Engineering Building and renovated Jacobs Hall houses classrooms, and teaching and research laboratories in a three-story, 150,000 square foot facility. The facility houses the departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Civil and Environmental Engineering, and shop space for the department of Mechanical Engineering. The project reconnects and attempts to knit together two existing buildings, which were renovated as part of the scope of work: a 47,000 square foot, 1940′s neo-Gothic building, and a 25,000 square foot, 1950′s utilitarian lab building. The building is 80,000 square feet and includes a 120 seat lecture/multimedia room.
Technology Enterprise Park Phase I – Atlanta, Georgia
A 5-story concrete-framed research facility. This is the first building of a 3-building complex, designed to accommodate early-stage and established technology and bioscience companies. The facility is affiliated with Georgia Institute of Technology, one of the nation’s top academic institutions in technology commercialization. The structure of the building was designed specifically to accommodate laboratory functions. A flat slab was designed for the central corridor to allow for the support of a large number of utility systems that are required for laboratory buildings. The most efficient location for the lab exhaust shafts were determined to be at the same location as the exterior columns of the building. Instead of relocating the columns or shafts, the concrete columns were split into two columns, where the space between the two columns serves as the exhaust shaft.
- CDC Building 110 – Atlanta, Georgia
- Cobb County Water Central Laboratory – Marietta, Georgia
- Emory University Biochemistry Laboratory and Connector – Atlanta, Georgia
- Emory University Whitehead Research Laboratory – Atlanta, Georgia
- Emory University Yerkes Vaccine Research Center Wing Renovation – Atlanta, Georgia
- Georgia Institute of Technology Parker H. Petit Institute For Bioengineering And Bioscience – Atlanta, Georgia
- Georgia Public Health Laboratory – Decatur, Georgia
- Grady Memorial Radiation Therapy Center – Atlanta, Georgia
- Mayo Clinic Northeast Addition – Jacksonville, Florida
- Mayo Research Labs Phase II – Jacksonville, Florida
- Mississippi State University Incubator – Starkville, Mississippi
- University of Alabama ISB – Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center Research Biocontainment Laboratory – Memphis, Tennessee
- University of Tennessee Science/Engineering Research Facility – Memphis, Tennessee
- West Virginia University Animal Facility Annex – Morgantown, West Virginia
- West Virginia University Biomedical Research Facility – Morgantown, West Virginia