The New Schools at Carver – Atlanta, Georgia
The New Schools at Carver is a high school in Atlanta, Georgia and consists of many separate high schools in one, including Early College, School of Health Sciences & Research, School of Technology, and School of the Arts. This project was created by renovating the aging core of Clark Atlanta University and constructing two new buildings totaling 140,000 square feet. The project includes new technology labs, a cafeteria, a media center, and a gymnasium.
Grace-St. Luke’s Episcopal School Multipurpose Facility – Memphis, Tennessee
- Photo courtesy of Montgomery Martin Contractors
A centerpiece of Grace-St Luke’s Episcopal School campus in midtown Memphis, the multipurpose facility is a 42,000 square foot, two-story, steel-framed school building with a cold-formed, metal truss roof system. The facility includes a basketball gym, library, cafeteria, and classroom space. Located in the New Madrid Seismic Zone, the building was one of the first east of the Mississippi to utilize Buckling-Restrained Braced Frames (BRBF) to resist the lateral forces resulting from earthquake motions. This innovative lateral system was the subject of the article “Bracing for a Solid Education” written by SDL’s Steve Anderson and published in Modern Steel Construction.
Merritt Island High School Addition – Merritt Island, Florida
- Photo courtesy of Peter Brown Construction
This project is located in Brevard County, a hurricane prone region on Florida’s Atlantic Coast. The building consists of a two-story, 31,000 square foot addition to the existing high school, and houses classrooms and laboratory spaces. The structure consists of exterior tilt-up concrete walls and interior masonry walls supporting precast hollow core planks at the second floor and steel girders and bar joists at the roof. The concrete and masonry walls have been designed to withstand pressures from 130 mph winds.
Bay County K-8 – Panama City, Florida
- Rendering courtesy of JRA Architects
Located in Bay County, along the hurricane prone Florida Panhandle, Bay County K-8 is a combined elementary and middle school campus composed of one H-shaped building with four main wings and a detached gymnasium. The super structure of the 165,000 square foot facility is comprised of pre-manufactured steel frames with CMU walls and metal stud walls on the exterior. SDL provided foundation design, detailed specifications for pre-engineered elements and coordinated extensively with the contractor and the metal building supplier to make this project a success.
- Bay Haven Charter Academy, – Panama City, Florida
- Blackman Middle School – Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- Blountstown High School – Blountstown, Florida
- Chamblee Middle School – Atlanta, Georgia
- Chiles High School – Tallahassee, Florida
- Christiana Middle School – Christiana, Tennessee
- Clay County K-8 – Orange Park, Florida
- Croft Middle School – Nashville, Tennessee
- Dunedin Highland Middle School – Dunedin, Florida
- Eastside High School – Gainesville, Florida
- Leon County Middle School – Tallahassee, Florida
- Martha B. King Middle School – Bradenton, Florida
- Mowat Middle School Renovation – Tallahassee, Florida
- New Horizons Learning Center – Panama City, Florida
- Rock Springs Middle School –Smyrna, Tennessee
- Ruby Major Elementary School – Nashville, Tennessee
- Safety Harbor Middle School – Safety Harbor, Florida
- WT Moore Elementary Addition – Tallahassee, Florida